Dr. GYANENDRA JHA
Contact : +91-7354492969
Address : Behind Sunil Hosiery, Krishna Hotel Road,
Bhawartal Garden, Napier Town, Jabalpur (M.P.) - 482001
HOW TO OVERCOME AND COPE WITH EXAM PHOBIA?
Exam phobia has become so common phenomena now a day that everyone of us talks about it and mostly this topic comes in demand obviously during season of exams. We can very well relate with it but I will ask you to stop thinking regarding exam phobia for a moment, now you will ask me come to the point and tell us some measures to fight with it. Yes I am going to give you some mantras which I think will help you definitely but before that try to understand the phenomena.
DO YOU KNOW THE MEANING OF PHOBIA?
May be some of you must be knowing the meaning of phobia but may be some of you would not.
Lets start from start, because knowing your enemy is the first step of any battle.
May be some of you would thinking that fear of something is phobia. Let it be exam or any other situation or any other stimulus or something else.
Is this your definition of phobia?
If yes, then I would say you are half correct and half incorrect.
In total you are not perfectly right.
Then what is the meaning of this phobia? Let me tell you the definition of phobia.
"Phobia is recurring, excessive, unreasonable psychological or autonomic symptoms of anxiety, in the (anticipated) presence of a specific feared object or situation leading, whenever possible, to avoidance."
Now you can very well understand the difference between exam fear and exam phobia.
Let me tell you one thing very clearly and with total sincerity that the fear of exam is an essential element for good performance and there is nothing wrong in it. Even in most of the cases this fear transforms an ordinary student / learner in to someone very potent student. This constant fear forces you to plan accordingly otherwise you will not get prepared. This anticipatory fear turns you in to well prepared and rehearsed examinee. You should thank your fear and should try to shape yourself accordingly. You should channelize this energy of fear in to your preparedness acts.
If a student does not recognize this fear of exam early in his or her course and do not respond back to it enthusiastically mostly this fear transforms in to monster we called as exam phobia. Many students then do not feel comfortable to handle this tension and breaks down psychologically and hence they avoid the annoying and disturbance producing situation which is exam in itself.
As you all know that prevention is better than cure.
It applies here too, being parents or students you have the liability to recognize this fear of exam as early as possible and get prepare a plan to handle this fear of exam or to conquer over it, before it is too late to respond back. You need to have a Proactive approach to stop this dangerous conversion of fear in to phobia.
MANTRAS TO COPE WITH EXAM PHOBIA:
- 1. DO NOT LOSE HOPE: The rule of life applies here. You see your life is hanging around thousand and one uncertainty but despite all of it, you never lose your hope and you keep on making new and new, better and better plans for every coming day. Irrespective of hundred failed plans you keep on making new plans because you have the most precious fuel of life and that fuel of life is hope. This is your hope which forces you to do something and you express your presence to everyone around you. This hope is the driving force. Hope against every hope which is against you.
- 2. REMEMBER YOU ARE STILL NOT FAILED: Failure is just a temporary term, it is very poor term. Failure has a small life if you want to kill it or you have every possibility that you will abolish this term from your head and permanently from your dictionary. Remember one has to go through the unpleasing events and situations if he really wants to taste the sweet moments. I had read an article with the topic saying, success appears sweet to those who do not succeed. Basically everything in this life which you attain with dedication and hard work appears really sweet. After your encounter with your feared object, your failure or success becomes secondary, what matters a lot is the fighting attitude and approach because with this approach you can win any time.
- 3. ANALYZE YOUR STRENGTH AND WEAKNESS: Every coin has two sides so is the person strength and the weakness. There is no one in this earth who born with only either of both. So gather your strength and gather them quickly. One should always be positive in this negativity producing world, e.g. rehearse and memorize the topics which you think you know little more and have less confusions.
- 4. DO NOT BE JUDGMENTAL: Always remember you are just a student. Do not try to be a palmist or astrologer. You should live in your present and should forget about past performances and should not be worry about the result. Whatever is going to happen will happen, it is none of your work to worry for that. Yes you can change your present because that is the only time you have in your hand so do not lose it by thinking about past and the future.
- 5. REMEMBER THOSE WHO WIN, LOSE TOO: Accepting the challenge of encounter with your greatest fear is in itself an act of bravery. Remember those who jump into war without second thoughts regarding the outcome of it mostly wins the battle. Yes there is high possibility that you will succeed because you are utilizing your every possible energy in your action. Even if you failed you will have no regret and you will have no guilt so you can participate in it any better next time. There is second chance for everyone and you are not an exception.
- 6. ASK FOR STRATEGIC HELP: It is always good to have good advice; this advice can come from family members, your friends or any expert. Asking for help will never proof you idiot or weak but it is other way around the sign of intelligence and bravery. You must be having many intelligent and mature people in form of parents, siblings and subject experts; this is your duty to inform them regarding your circumstances. You deserve their advice and you are free to form your own opinion. This act of asking help will not only be fruitful for you, it will bring the feeling of happiness for them and will increase the bonding of both the sides.